The Container Capacity Improvement Program is the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority’s long-term strategy to ensure the timely delivery of required container infrastructure to meet anticipated traffic growth. A key objective of the Program is the maximization of existing terminals before the construction of any new facilities. In planning for future capacity with this objective, the port authority considered opportunities to:
- Increase the capacity and efficiency of existing container terminals;
- Convert existing under-utilized terminals to handle containers; and
- Build a new terminal.
Improvements to existing container terminals within the Port of Vancouver’s jurisdiction include:
- The Deltaport Terminal, Road and Rail Improvement Project, currently underway and anticipated to be completed in 2017; and
- The Centerm Expansion Project, currently undergoing preliminary planning.
- Roberts Bank Terminal 2 Project - Project Rationale (2.57 MB pdf)
- Container Capacity Improvement Program Update - November 2015 (1.41 MB pdf)